Baltimore Key Bridge collapse: Salvage team recovers body of another missing worker

US

BALTIMORE — The body of one of the three victims who had been unaccounted for following the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse has been recovered, Baltimore’s Unified Command said Monday.

Salvage teams located what they believed to be one of the construction vehicles reported missing on March 26, after the incident, and promptly notified the Maryland Department of State Police, United Command said.

The collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge lays on top of the container ship Dali, Monday, April 15, 2024, in Baltimore.

(AP Photo/Julia Nikhinson)

The Maryland State Police, the FBI, and the Maryland Transportation Authority Police responded and located a deceased victim trapped inside the vehicle Sunday, United Command said.

At the request of the family, authorities have not released the name of the victim, who was identified by the medical examiner’s office Monday, according to Unified Command.

READ MORE: FBI opens criminal investigation into Baltimore bridge collapse: Sources

“As we mourn the lives lost and continue the recovery operation, we recognize each missing individual is someone’s beloved friend or family member,” Col. Roland L. Butler, Jr., superintendent of the Maryland Department of State Police, said in a statement.

Two more victims remain unaccounted for and have been declared dead after the March 26 incident, when a cargo ship crashed into the Baltimore bridge, causing a near-total collapse of a bridge span in the port.

A container ship rests against wreckage of the Francis Scott Key Bridge on Tuesday, March 26, 2024, as seen from Pasadena, Md.

AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein

Six people were killed in the incident. The bodies of three of the deceased were previously recovered and identified by officials as Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, 35, Dorlian Ronial Castillo Cabrera, 26, and Maynor Yasir Suazo-Sandoval, 38.

Miguel Luna, a father of five from Usulutan, California, in El Salvador, was among the missing workers presumed dead, his family previously told ABC News.

READ MORE: Salvage crews have begun removing containers from the ship that collapsed Baltimore’s Key bridge

A 35-year-old from Camotán, Chiquimula, in Guatemala and a Mexican resident were also reported missing and are presumed dead, according to their respective country’s foreign ministry.

Salvage operations continue.

Copyright © 2024 ABC News Internet Ventures.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Video shows man at center of Biscayne Bay fatality dock boat
Polling guru Nate Silver wants fans to face ‘uncomfortable reality’ about Indiana Fever’s nickname
‘Predator’ teacher who had sex with two schoolboys convicted
Los Angeles County Public Health investigating Hepatitis A case at Beverly Hills grocery store
Paul McCartney song starts Paralympics on 100-day countdown to opening ceremony in Paris

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *