This quick and easy microwave Pumpkin Mug Cake is the perfect fall dessert for one, or multiply the recipe and make it in ramekins to feed a crowd!
Pumpkin Mug Cake
If you love mug cakes and everything pumpkin spice, you will love these pumpkin mug cakes. My daughter Madison can’t get enough! I played around with this recipe many times and loved this version using ground flax seeds instead of egg since it’s so hard to divide an egg. It also adds extra fiber and is excellent for egg-free diets. For more perfectly portioned desserts, try this Banana Bread Mug Muffin, Flourless Chocolate Cake, and Pumpkin Cheesecake Shooters. And if you need more ideas for canned pumpkin, see all my pumpkin recipes here.
Why This Recipe Works
- Healthy: This sweet treat is low in calories since it uses pumpkin instead of oil or butter and has a good amount of fiber.
- Fast and Easy: This dessert only takes a few minutes to whip up and cooks in just 90 seconds. No need to preheat the oven!
- Satisfies Dietary Restrictions: This pumpkin mug cake recipe is egg-free and can be made dairy-free and gluten-free.
- Delicious Any Time of Day: Who says you can only eat cake for dessert? This pumpkin cake would be wonderful for breakfast topped with vanilla Greek yogurt.
Pumpkin Mug Cake Ingredients
- Flax: Ground flax seeds replace the egg and increases the fiber.
- Milk: Use dairy-free or skim milk.
- Flour: You’ll need three tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
- Baking Powder helps the cake rise.
- Spices: Pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon for all the yummy fall pumpkin flavor
- Salt: Just a pinch of salt balances the sweetness.
- Pumpkin: Canned pumpkin puree gives the cake moisture without adding fat.
- Vanilla Extract for flavor
- Sweetener: I used brown monk fruit to reduce the sugar and calories, but regular brown sugar will work.
- Whipped Cream: I served this healthy pumpkin mug cake with whipped cream, which was delicious but optional.
How to Make a Pumpkin Mug Cake
- Flax Egg: Combine the flax seed and milk in a small bowl and let it sit for five minutes. This mixture replaces the egg.
- Dry Ingredients: Whisk the flour, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in a large microwavable mug.
- Wet Ingredients: Mix in the pumpkin puree, vanilla, flax seed mixture, and sweetener.
- Cook the Mug Cake: Microwave the mug for approximately 90 seconds, depending on your microwave. You may want to cook it for 70 seconds first and then check it before microwaving it any longer. Once the cake is firm to the touch, it’s ready.
- Serve: Let the pumpkin mug cake cool for a minute or two. Serve it warm with whipped cream, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon if desired.
- Gluten-Free Mug Cake: Substitute the all-purpose flour with two tablespoons of almond flour and one tablespoon of oat flour. See recipe in box below:
- Chocolate: Stir a couple of teaspoons of mini chocolate chips into the batter.
- Serve More People: Multiply the recipe by how many people you need to feed and microwave the cake in mugs or ramekins.
- Serving Ideas: Swap whipped cream with vanilla ice cream or Greek yogurt.
Almond Flour Pumpkin Mug Cake
I tested this pumpkin mug cake with almond flour as a gluten-free alternative and it worked out great with some modifications. This recipe is for 1 serving:
- 3/4 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free milk (or skim milk)
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free oat flour
- 1/4 plus 1/8th teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 plus 1/8th teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown monk fruit sweetener (or sweetener of your choice)
- whipped cream, optional
- Combine the flax seed and milk and let it sit 5 minutes, this will replace using and egg.
- In a large microwavable mug whisk together the flour, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, baking powder and pinch of salt.
- Add in the pumpkin puree, vanilla, flax seed mixture and sweetener of your choice and mix until smooth.
- Microwave for roughly 1 minute 30 seconds, or until firm to the touch (timing is based on my microwave which is 1200 Watts so your timing may vary).
- Let it cool 5 minutes, it will firm up once it cools. Serve warm with whipped cream, pumpkin spice and cinnamon, if desired.
More Pumpkin Dessert Recipes You’ll Love
Pumpkin Mug Cake
microwave safe mug or ramekin
Combine the flax seed and milk and let it sit 5 minutes, this will replace using and egg.
In a large microwavable mug whisk together the flour, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, baking powder and pinch of salt.
Add in the pumpkin puree, vanilla, flax seed mixture and sweetener of your choice and mix until smooth.
Microwave for roughly 1 minute 30 seconds, or until firm to the touch (timing is based on my microwave which is 1200 Watts so your timing may vary).
Let it cool 1 to 2 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream, pumpkin spice and cinnamon, if desired.
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.